Immersion in African digital creation.
NewImages Festival is proud to be one of the highlights of the Africa2020 Season!
NewImages Festival x Africa2020
If new digital imaginations are transforming the vision of the African continent, creative innovations are also an amazing opportunity for African civil society and its recent diaspora to reclaim its representation and assert their multiple faces.
After a first focus organized in 2018, NewImages Festival is happy once again be able to question the ways in which digital creation allow today’s Africas to tell their stories. And that through:
- a selection of unique immersive experiences that the public will be invited to discover at the Forum of Images and the canopy of the Halles Forum in the presence of their creators;
- a unique mapping spectacle, portraits of African cities made from time-lapse videos. An original creation specially produced for the occasion by the Forum of images, in collaboration with the Beninese photograph Mayeul Akpovi;
- the meeting with the African XR ecosystem, in the presence of an official delegation of guests that came from all over the world: these authors, producers, technological leaders, funders and institutional representants will mostly take part in the Industry Days (talks and Q&As, XR Financing Market, workshops…)
- the launch of a new creation residency with South Africa in partnership with Digital Lab Africa. Before the festival takes place, NewImages Festival will host for a month of residency the poet Xabiso Vili and the digital artist Sonwabo Valashiya;
- « Re/Member Your Descendants », an augmented reality photo exhibition to be discovered in the Halles gardens. The fruit of a collaboration between Xabiso Vili and Sonwabo Valashiya during their residency, this project will exclusively be presented during the festival;
- a musical scene under the canopy of the Halles. Musicians, DJs and VJs will be reunited to spell out loud and clear the continent’s identities;
What’s the Africa2020 Season?
All over France, from June 1st to mid-December 2020, this extraordinary pan-African and multidisciplinary cultural season initiated by the French government, carried by the French Institute and the curator N’Goné Fall will pay tribute to the richness and diversity of the continent.
Innovation in the domains of arts, technologies, economy, emancipation, sharing and transmission … built around the great challenges of the 21st century, the Season Africa2020 will allow us to step aside and make room for new tales.