Highlight: a focus on the African creation
As part of the Africa2020 Season, this unprecedented focus will celebrate the young African creation.
NewImages Festival x Africa2020
The NewImages Festival showcased the newest, brightest and boldest of African creation. At the Forum des images and in the different locations of the festival, this unique focus made the heart of Paris vibrate to the rhythms of the stories, colors and sounds of this new generation of artists whose emancipating works — both narratively and formally — defy traditional representations and archetypes.
After a first focus organized in 2018, the NewImages Festival was happy once again to be able to question the ways in which digital creation allows today’s Africas to tell their stories. And that through:
— For everyone —
- a selection of immersive experiences was to be discovered at the Forum of Images and in the heart of Paris;
- “Chosi Chosi”, a unique video mapping on the Church of Saint-Eustache inspired by the iintsomi (African folk tales). A travel across time, space and cultures! (original creation)
- the exhibition “Re/Member Your Descendants”, a multidisciplinary project by Xabiso Vili and Sonwabo Valashiya featuring augmented photography, illustrations, poems, music and interviews to invent new forms of communication between South African youth and their ancestral roots (original creation);
- “Kandaka and the Black Pharaohs”, a film which is specifically designed for our 180° screen (Canopée, Forum des Halles) and which allowed you to enter the ruins of the Kushite Empire and learn about the Sudan’s Black Pharaohs (original creation);
- “Portraits of African Cities”, a series of ten time-lapse videos on a 180° LED screen to feel the vibes of some African cities as modern as plural (original creation);
- two concerts, both mixing music with digital effects and set the stage on fire for two unmissable performances: NIX (rap, Senegal) and Aida Sock and the Dream Time (afro-soul, Senegal);
— Professional part —
- the meeting with the African XR ecosystem and a conversation on new collaborations to be imagined;
- the launch of a new creation residency with South Africa, in partnership with the Digital Lab Africa;
What’s the Africa2020 Season?
All over France, from December 2020 to July 2021, this extraordinary pan-African and multidisciplinary season initiated by the French government, carried by the French Institute and the curator N’Goné Fall will pay tribute to the richness and diversity of the continent.
Innovation in the domains of arts, technologies, economy, emancipation, sharing and transmission … built around the great challenges of the 21st century, the Season Africa2020 will allow us to step aside and make room for new tales.